Friday, June 19, 2009

We live and learn

In a recent blog entry I said I did some prints with an Epson inkjet printer. That has changed. Luckily only a hand full of those prints have been sold over the years. One order done recently has been reprint by my lab and I will replace that customers prints as soon as I talk with them about the issue.

Epson inkjet prints are touted by Epson to last 100 years. I found out that it really isn't the case. I had a few of these prints in a portfolio in the car to show as proofs of large posters. They were only traveling with me for a couple weeks when I noticed the picture had completely worn away in a couple areas.

These prints were not handled roughly by any means. They were not even subjected to the dust and weather at races since they stayed in my vehicle most all that time. My dye-sub and lab printed samples that I have out during races have been completely covered in dust, rained on, banged around, subjected to cold, hot and humid conditions and handled by countless customers for at least a year. In contrast those prints show very little wear and even the scratches are minimal.

Now, maybe if that Epson inkjet print had been put under glass immediately and handle properly it might have been ok. But this is the real world. Few of us take exceptional care with our pictures. They're hung near fireplaces, in sunny areas, and generally not handled with the utmost care. My large posters do have to be replaced since they got rained on over the weekend. (water got between the plexiglas and print)

So the next time you're at a race or your kids ball games and the local photog. is selling on the spot prints with inkjet printers keep this in mind: Mine were printed on Epson premium professional papers with Epson inks in my office. I can only imagine how long one will last when printed in hot, humid, and dusty conditions. There are spray fixatives out there that some use, but doing that in the dust too! Not me. I've learned my lesson. That Epson printer is now used for proofs only. No customer will receive an inkjet print from PBP. Stop by at a race and I'll be happy to show you the prints. You be the judge.

No comments: